Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mixed berry Tassies in Miniature

A local bakery makes something called "tassies" that look like tarts to my untrained eye. I'm sure I'd be able to get away with either name, but will go with "tassies" since they sound foreign to my ear and, therefore, more fancy! Additionally, they looked easy to make and I like that.

The dough: These are mini tassies, so I only need half as much dough to fill my two mini muffin trays.

1/2 Cup vegan Cream Cheese, scant
1/2 Cup vegan butter substitute
1 Cup flour

Cream the butter and cream cheese together, then add the flour. Mix until just holds together.
My warm hands wanted to melt the dough so I put it in the fridge to cool really quickly. The dough was rolled into ~ 1 inch balls and squished into the muffin wells.
Once completed, I put the muffin trays into the fridge and started on my berry filling:

2 Cups mixed berries of your choice
1/3 Cup brown sugar
1-3 Tbsp flour

I cooked the berries over medium heat until they released their juices. Then I added a the brown sugar and flour to thicken the filling. With the oven preheating to 400, I filled each tassy with filling to the brim and then placed them in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
 Presto! Mini tassies that were gone in less 24 hours. Below, Bree gracefully lifts these tassies out of the muffin tray before the sugars harden them in place.
The choices for fillings are endless. Pears would be great in this! I would like to try some nuts sometime, too. Pecans, cashews... I bet this will go well with savory stuff too.

1 comment:

CP said...

pretty pictures!