Tuesday, August 3, 2010

First time with Gazpacho

 Once, for a short time, I worked in the Deli of a food co-op where all the food was the best I'd ever had. For the hot summer days they made a gazpacho that was so popular people would ask for it even before the weather was ready to give us sunburns. So now I'm thinking, "If it's that popular, I should make it". All it has in it is fresh veggies with a tomato base and spices. Not hard right?

Right. It is very easy in fact! Almost any desirable fresh veggie can be added to gazpacho once the base is made. Here is how I started:

4 fresh tomatoes, cubed and season with oregano, basil, salt and pepper
1/2 fresh cucumber, peeled and cubed
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar and a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed

These were all put into my blender and pulsed until liquidy but still chunky/lumpy. No need to puree this, it is a chunky cold soup! Then I added my veggies of choice:

1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1-2 sticks celery, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
herbs and spices to taste: salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, basil

Again, I pulsed until the mixture until the veggies were chunky. I also added a little more balsamic vinegar to taste. Since I had a french bread baguette left over from a picnic the night before I made croutons for topping. And avocado. And more fresh cilantro.

2 comments:

Bree said...

bummed i missed it!
captcha: quiachem

Alan said...

Lovin' the fresh cilantro. Sammy and I had tacos in Nairobi lastnight and there was a lot of cilantro inside. Delicious!

I asked if they had vegetarian tacos, but I think she mis understood me... beef tacos come WITH veggies!

Alan