Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pesto Pasta with Tempeh Bacon

I was pretty tired having just spent the weekend with some of my favorite people at a wedding in the bay area (!!!) and when I finally got home I just wanted a fast meal. I was pleasantly surprised with this meal and how quick it was to create with so little ingredients!

With brown rice pasta and pesto on hand all I needed to do was make some bacon. Facon. Tempehcon! Whatevs.

I chose the marinade recipe below, and while it was more sweet than I wanted, it was still nice:

2/3 of a package of tempeh, cut into thin strips
1 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 Tbsp agave or maple syrup (I used 2 Tbsp, but 1 would have really been enough)
1/2 tsp cumin
dash of cayenne
1 tsp liquid smoke
1-2 tsp soy sauce (gluten free!)
1 tsp black pepper

I would add chili flakes to the bacon next time, too. Once marinated for 5-10 minutes these bad boys were cooked in a pan with olive oil until browned (or a little burned in this case).

No comments: