Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Skillet fajitas, Skillet 911

These days I feel like a winner. I just got a cast iron skillet, and guys, it's really amazing. It grills, it sautes, it bakes. Really great.*

I made grilled onion and seitan fajitas with black beans and jalapenos. The seitan was great, but not by me. The secret is in the skillet! (Congrats to the red dinosaur for making an appearance)
*Update: I almost ruined the skillet, y'all. For all my care and caution, I nearly cooked the season right of out this skillet by forgetting it on the stove, an event which suggests some character flaws that I don't want to admit. BUT, my door has been opened to the world of re-seasoning skillets with heat and oil. And I'm totes making lemonade out of this lemon.

I scrubbed off the gray soot that covered it and rinsed it out with water. Then evenly spread veggie oil over the surface and placed it in the oven on low heat (250-300) for a bit to let the oil set, maybe an hour. Presto! Beautiful again. Phew. Now I want to go to the Goodwill and find more skillets to re-season and claim as mine.

No comments: