Sunday, June 13, 2010

Nontraditionally flavored pizza...

I had a long, hot day at work so I decided to come home and make myself exactly what I wanted when I walked in the door: pizza! It's hard though, because when you walk in the door you don't always have the ingredients for success. Luckily tonight I had red bell, onion, peanut butter and potatoes. Great stuff for a Spicy Thai Pizza.

How it all went down:

First was a peanut sauce made from peanut butter, water, a little oil, Thai chili sauce, and a dash of soy sauce. Then I went ahead and put chili flakes in the dough to a) make it pretty and b) try to compliment the spicy peanut sauce I had just made (in the end, I don't think it did much for flavor). The potatoes were cut thin and baked until soft in olive oil, S&P, nutritional yeast and garlic. Red bell and onion were sliced thin for topping.

Once the dough was ready I gently spread into the familiar square shape of homemade pizza and spread the sauce and layered the toppings.

Some comments: I wish there was more sauce. While baking the pizza in the oven for ~20 minutes the sauce seemed to reduce (since there was no cheese to make it stay gooey and oily) and I would layer the sauce a little thicker next time. I might also brush the crust with olive oil before placing it in the oven in an attempt to have it brown while cooking.

This was a great break from my typical red sauce base. I look forward to trying more alternative pizza combos in the future.

No comments: