Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Whole Wheat Flax loaf

 It's been a while since I baked a plain old loaf of bread. Today I had some extra time on my hands (and a loaf of Dave's Killer Bread that is about to be finished), in fact, enough time to make a loaf of sliceable bread for my coming work week.
A number of weeks ago I bought some milled flax seed to up my intake of Omega-3 fatty acids. I thought bread would be vehicle for my flax and, apparently, so did everybody else because there are tons of whole wheat/flaxseed bread recipes floating around the web. I'm not a very original person.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup milled flaxseed
1 3/4 cups warm water
1 tbsp sugar (the recipe said honey, but I had none...)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast

I mixed these ingredients in a regular bread-making kind of way. Water, sugar and yeast. Dry stuff. Mix. Knead for 10 minutes and set to rise until doubled. Punch down and place in breadpan. Rise again for 45 minutes and then bake. So easy...

A photo essay:

After baking I shared a couple slices with Bree wherein I had a range of emotions: disappointment, excitement, confusion, and contentment. Probably in that order. But really, this bread is good and I am happy to have my PB&J on it tomorrow.

3 comments:

Nanci Gorton (Orth) said...

Why the disappointment and confusion?

Randi said...

Well, I moved through stages of confusion and disappointment on my way to satisfaction. At first, I thought the bread was too dry.

Bree said...

This was "given new life," as Randi put it, by making it into french toast. Delightful!

captcha: chernal