Saturday, October 30, 2010

Metal or Glass?

 I have made my last two loaves of bread in a metal pan and I wanted to see if I can see a difference in how the bread turns out when cooking in glass. Here is the run-down: Glass absorbs heat and retains it more than metal (cooking your dish quicker, browning more), so the oven should be set for 25 degrees F lower than with a metal pan. Also, baked items tend to stick more to glass bakeware...

But talking about it is boring. I made a flax loaf in my pyrex dish:

 The verdict? It was kinda hard to get the bread loose from the pyrex, even though it was well greased! But the crust is really nice and brown and I think I would still use either pan.

2 comments:

Alan said...

You're getting very technical about this... love me some flax.

Alan... still in Kenya.
http://alaninkenya.org

Randi said...

Too bad we can't cook very much in Kenya because we'll on a sick adventure! We could make some delicious things how that you have your own place...